Believe it or not, the first time I’ve ever tried foil packets was this summer during our annual family retreat at a lakeside cabin in New Hampshire. Since there were so many mouths to feed each day, quick and easy recipes were top priority! For one night, Devin’s mom, our executive chef of the week, decided that we will be having grilled foil packets for dinner which really got everyone excited.
The best part about these foil packets for me was not just that they were simple and delicious but also that every was able to customize their foil packet to whatever meat, veggie or seasoning they desired! You should know by now that I looooove customizable meals. I always say on all of my posts that the recipe is just a guide, and additions or substitutions are always encouraged. That said, these foil packets are ABSOLUTELY and COMPLETELY customizable and you can basically put anything in them!
For this post, I made a very simple foil packet that can be eaten as a side dish or a full meal depending on how much you fill your packet and/or if you add any extras. I was craving a loaded baked potato one night and so I decided to play off that idea and turn it into a foil packet instead. Potatoes are one of the most common ingredient for foil packets as the closed foil creates a perfect cooking environment for the potatoes, making them nice and tender but not over cooked.
Some other popular suggestions for foil packets include:
With these options you could whip up some bomb combinations and even make it buffet style having everyone pick and choose options for their personalized packet!
Let me know what you think about my baked potato inspired packet as well as what your favorite foil packet combos are!
- 2 lbs red potatoes, washed and diced into cubes
- 4 bacon slices
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup chopped chives
- 4 large sheets of foilInstructions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. (if using)
- Cook bacon slices in a large skillet until crispy, then chop into pieces.
- In a bowl, add potatoes and season with salt & pepper, garlic, powder, thyme and oil, mix well. Fold in bacon bits. Separate into four equal servings.
- Place potatoes and bacon in the center of a sheet of foil. Fold two sides of the foil together and seal over potatoes, then tuck in the sides. Grill packets on medium for 25-30 mins or in oven for 35 mins. Carefully open packets and add 1/4 cup of cheese to each packet during the last 5 mins of cook time.
- Remove packets from grill or oven and serve with chopped chives and sour cream.DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 4 servings
Skill Level: Easy
- 4 bacon slices