Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. We will receive compensation for any items purchased using the links below, at no additional cost to the buyer.
In keeping up with the theme of posting on national food days, I’m pleased to share that today is actually National Brownie Day! A whole entire day dedicated to the love of chocolatey, fudgy delicious brownies! And because this awesome day happened to be during the holiday season, I thought it would be fun to put a spin on regular brownies and add a little holidays spice. That’s right, today we’re making Gingerbread Spiced Brownies!
There are two ingredients in these brownies that I’d say are the most important for giving them that true gingerbread flavor, and they are ginger (duh) and molasses. Molasses had that distinct, slightly bitter flavor and is one of the main ingredients in gingerbread cookies. It does significantly change the flavor of the brownies, so if you’re more into an all-chocolate-with-a-hint-of-ginger type of brownie, you may want to leave it out. Just note, you’ll be making ginger brownies, not gingerbread brownies. Come to think of it, that sounds bomb and I may actually try that version sometime soon!
In addition to the ginger and molasses, you’ll notice there’s also cinnamon in this recipe. You can play around with the cinnamon-to-ginger ratio to your liking but the recipe as written is 50-50. I have to admit, I was a bit hesitant putting cinnamon in the mix, but since this is what I’d call the third most important ingredient in gingerbread cookies, it truly would not do the recipe justice without it.
All in all, this is just a simple spin on what I assume is the world’s favorite dessert, to add a little warm holiday spice! I hope this recipe adds that spice to your life this holiday season!
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter or oil
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup raw sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup light sour cream (optional)
- powdered sugar for dustingInstructions
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, mix oil, sugar and molasses until well blended. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well. Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until just mixed. Fold in sour cream.
- Pour batter into a greased 9x9 baking pan for 25 minutes. Cut into squares and dust with powdered sugar.DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 9-12 brownies
Skill Level: Easy