Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. We will receive compensation for any items purchased using the links below, at no additional cost to the buyer.
Christmas time is upon us, and besides the endless amount of cookies that I consume around this time of year, breakfast on Christmas morning is something that I look forward to every year. A few days ago, I shared a boozy Christmas breakfast recipe for Eggnog French Toast with Bourbon Raspberry Sauce that I mentioned would be great for Christmas morning. But if you’re more traditional and would rather not have bourbon with your morning coffee, or want to be kid-friendly, then I think this recipe is perfect for you!
One thing I love about this recipe is that it can be prepped the night before then assembled in the morning. Just store the egg/milk mixture in an airtight container in the fridge separate from the meats/veggie mixture then layer with the tater tots and cheese the next day. Easy!
This recipe uses an entire 32 oz. bag of tater tots so, as written, it is suitable for a large family breakfast, if you have guests over, or if you’re going to eat it over a few days like we are! Literally, this will be breakfast, lunch and dinner for the two of us over two days. For the sausage, I preferred to cook a pack of pork sausage prior to assembling it into the recipe, however, you can use any pre-cooked breakfast sausage to save time and make it that much easier.
Since this is recipe if a bit on the heavier side, given that it is potato based, I decided to cut back on the amount of cheese I added to this dish. I think cheese is essential in any breakfast bake, but just the bit of cheese on top was enough to satisfy! Of course, you can always add more cheese in the center of the casserole, which I mention in the recipe, but honestly you don't even need it! It’s delicious as is!
- 32 oz bag frozen tater tots
- 12 oz. cooked breakfast sausage, chopped
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 3-4 green onion, chopped
- 6 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded cheeseInstructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until well done and crispy. Remove from pan along with excess fat, leaving behind about 1 tablespoon of bacon fat. Saute onions and peppers in pan for two minutes.
- In a bowl, mix sausage, bacon (saving behind a few bits for topping), peppers and onions until combined. For a cheesier bake, add an extra 1/2 cup of cheese here. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Spread tater tots evenly in a greased 9x13 casserole dish. Top with bacon and sausage mixture. Pour egg mixture over everything. Bake in oven for 35 mins, adding cheese on top during the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- Remove from oven and top with green onion and remaining bacon bits.DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 10-12
Skill Level: Easy