If you know me well you’d know that I can sometimes be a Valentine’s Day Scrooge. Ever since around the beginning of college, I began to see Valentines Day as just another made up holiday to get people to spend more money. I started to loath seeing the cliché boxes of chocolate and oversized teddy bears lined up in stores, just calling out to impulse buyers during this time of year. But over the last few years, i decided to take a more positive approach to the holiday and I begun to realize that in a world filled with so much hate, I really can’t be mad at a day that encourages the spread of love!
So today I’m sharing a recipe that I’d been making over the past few weeks, with some Valentine’s Day inspiration. I had envisioned this recipe a lot differently than how it turned out, but I’m still pretty happy with the results. There are a few tips I’d like to share so you can make sure these treats are perfect for your babe!
There are plenty of ways to make rice krispie treats but my favorite is with chocolate chips and marshmallow chunks. In this recipe I also added in some Valentine’s Day sprinkles. Make sure to set aside a few marshmallows and chocolate chips to add to your mold before mixing them into the rice krispies mixture.
Once the marshmallows are mixed in with the rice krispies, allow it to cool before handling but be careful to not allow it to cool too much so that it hardens before being placed into the molds. You also want it to be warm/hot enough to partially melt the chocolate chip and marshmallow pieces we placed in prior. Add the sprinkles in top, if desired.
I love making this recipe because it’s a lot quicker and less labor intensive than cookies or cake. It’s also nice to switch it up a bit which I’m sure your love would also appreciate! Hope you all enjoy!!
- 6 cups rice krispies cereal
- 16 oz mini marshmallows
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- Valentine's Day sprinkles (optional)
- 2 heart-shaped silicone moldsInstructions
- Set aside a small handful of marshmallows and a small handful of chocolate chips. Drop 1-2 pieces of each in each heart-shaped mold.
- Melt butter in a large pot on medium heat. Gradually add in marshmallows until melted. Turn heat to low, then stir in rice krispies cereal. Add in 1/4 cup chocolate chips and stir until melted and mixed. Remove from heat.
- While rice krispies are still warm, press firmly into each mold, on top of the chocolate chips and marshmallows. Press in a few Valentine’s Day themed sprinkles on top (optional). Cover with a plastic wrap and let set until completely cooled.
- Pop rice krispie treats out of silicone molds and enjoy!DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 48 treats
Skill Level: Easy
- 16 oz mini marshmallows