Healthy recipe alert!! Ever since I launched More Than You Can Chew in the beginning of this year I can’t say that I’ve become known for posting the healthiest of recipes so I’m pretty hype that I’ve managed to post something that looks good, tastes amazing and is actually pretty healthy!
I say “pretty healthy” because I know how particular people are about what’s considered to be “healthy food”. Some say it has to be vegan, some say it has to have vegetables, some say it should not have carbs. To me, healthy food is just as much what it is as what it isn’t. This dish is not carbs smothered in meat and cheese. And it’s not deep fried and coated in sugar. So it’s definitely considered healthy to me!
That said, there are modifications that can be made to this recipe to make it even healthier. I will list some modification suggestions below but in short, this recipe does include ingredients like breadcrumbs and buttermilk. These are two things that can be omitted without changing the main components of the meal and still produce a pretty tasty result. “But Jasmine, if they can be omitted they why even include them in the recipe?” The reason for that is because I like buttermilk and breadcrumbs, they taste delicious and I can do what I want.
You can also do what you want! Since I started this journey I’ve always stressed the ability to take my recipes and modify them to your liking. All I want is for this to be a guide of what to do but ultimately you can add, omit, replace, reuse, reinvent any recipe on here. I actually encourage it!
Let me know in the comments below if you have any alternatives to this recipe. I’d love to hear your ideas!
- 2 lbs. chicken breast, cut into 8 strips
- 8 large lettuce leaves
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup your favorite buffalo sauce
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1 cup shredded carrotsInstructions
- Place chicken in a large bowl and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne pepper, if using. Pour buttermilk over chicken, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, preferably overnight.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Completely coat each buttermilk soaked chicken strip in panko bread crumbs and place on a baking rack over a baking sheet. Bake chicken for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven and cover in buffalo sauce.
- Arrange lettuce wraps by placing one chicken strip on a lettuce leaf. Top with blue cheese and shredded carrots.DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 8 wraps
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Reduce prep time by seasoning chicken as directed but without buttermilk. This is also a healthier option.
Omit panko breadcrumbs for a healthier alternative.
Use blue cheese dressing instead of crumbles as an alternative. (The crumbles are a better option health-wise)