Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. We will receive compensation for any items purchased using the links below, at no additional cost to the buyer.
It’s finally November and we all know what that means! Bring on the holiday pies, stuffing and turkey by the pound! Today i decided to do something a little different with my favorite fall vegetable: the sweet potato. Y’all, I cannot tell you how much i loooove sweet potato!! Ask me what’s my favorite holiday pie? Sweet potato. Favorite casserole dish? Sweet potato. Favorite potato?… Haha, I think you know where I’m going with this!
Instead of making a traditional sweet potato casserole I decided to get a bit more rustic and make loaded sweet potatoes instead. Just like a loaded baked potato can’t do without cheese, sour cream and bacon, I felt like this fall veggie favorite just couldn’t do without some fall-ish toppings including cranberries and pecans! Of course we have to add the traditional marshmallow topping, because really, what is a sweet potato without marshmallows? And to top it all off, a side of cinnamon-nutmeg butter. Ugh I'm drooling on my laptop just thinking about it again!
I think this side dish is the perfect easy twist to a Thanksgiving spread and adds a bit to extra bite with the pecans and cranberries. By the way, did I mention it’s easy as pie to make.. I mean, it’s easier than pie! Just pop them in the oven for 45 to an hour, slice and add toppings. Because the potatoes are piping hot when they come out, I didn't even bother toasting the marshmallows because they melted right away. But it’s all up to you. If you want a bit of toastyness to your marsh, I would suggest broiling them for about 5 minutes for a perfect golden brown.
The cinnamon butter is really easy to whip up and adds a nice spiced flavor to finish. You’ll notice it on the side in the photos below because it would have melted instantly but when it’s on there and all melted together, it is honestly to die for! And a little goes a long way!
So that’s it! A super easy side dish for TG with all the fall favorite toppings! Let me know if you’ll be adding it to your spread this year! Hope your as excited for the holidays as I am!
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp. dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/8 cup chopped pecans
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp. nutmegInstructions
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Wash sweet potatoes and stab each several times with a fork. Place on a baking sheet and bake in oven for 1 hour or until tender when pierced with fork.
- Combine butter, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl. Chill in refrigerator until potatoes are ready.
- When potatoes are cooked, carefully slice down the center but not completely in half Just enough to make a pocket for the toppings. Top potatoes with marshmallows first then cranberries and pecans. Optional: set oven to low broil and cook potatoes an additional 5 minutes to toast the marshmallows.
- Top sweet potatoes with cinnamon butter and serve.DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 4 servings
Skill Level: Easy